Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Metal Activity Series

I checked and we went over homework, then I gave the homework quiz on double replacement reactions and the formation of precipitates.  I used DWU #3 to introduce the Metal Activity series and students finished the remainder of the Predicting Products worksheet.  I also gave class time to work on the Sherlock Holmes lab.  I eliminated the second part of  identifying an unknown cation.  For the analysis, students need to write molecular, ionic and net ionic equations for the following reactions from the lab.

• Silver nitrate and Potassium Chloride
•Silver nitrate and Sodium chromate
•Iron (III) chloride and sodium cromate
•Barium nitrate and Sodium sulfate
•Cobalt nitrate and potassium hydroxide

Students also need to write the name of the precipitates formed in Table 1 and Table 2 based on the solubility rules.  I made a new and improved hand-out for solubility rules.  Let me know if you think it's any better than the one you have on your assignment sheet.

HW:  Finish lab; read 8.3-8.7; p. 245 #14; self check 8.2; finish worksheets for homework packet, assemble HW packet

Correct Worksheets from the links below
Balancing Equations Worksheet
Predicting Products Worksheet
Practice Quiz Answers (error on problem #1... this is a 1R reaction)

No comments:

Post a Comment